Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorShimizu, Julia
dc.contributor.authorDuTeau, Nancy M.
dc.date.accessioned2007-01-03T07:05:07Z
dc.date.available2007-01-03T07:05:07Z
dc.date.submitted2005
dc.description.abstractIt is estimated that 10 to the 14th power microbes make the human gut home, outnumbering the total number of cells in the body. The importance of microbes in the digestive system of mammals is fairly well known. However the microbial flora inhabiting the gut of insects, particularly mosquitoes, is less well studied. Understanding the microbial flora of the mosquito may provide valuable information for understanding why some mosquitoes are more effective vectors for human disease than others. Genetic alteration of these gut microbes may also lead to novel methods for controlling mosquito populations or blocking disease transmission. In this study, the microbial gut community of field-caught larval Aedes aegypti (the major vector of yellow fever and dengue) was analyzed. PCR products of bacterial 16S ribosomal RNA genes, amplified from larval DNA extracts, were cloned. 68 clones were then digested with Msp1. 57% of the clones had unique fragment patterns, while the other 43% shared one of 11 patterns, suggesting that the mosquito gut contains a diverse consortium of bacteria.
dc.description.awardCollege Honors.
dc.format.mediumStudent works
dc.format.mediumposters
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10217/567
dc.languageEnglish
dc.publisherColorado State University. Libraries
dc.relation.ispartof2005 Projects - Celebrate Undergraduate Research and Creativity (CURC) Showcase
dc.rightsCopyright of the original work is retained by the author.
dc.subject.lcshAedes aegypti -- Physiology
dc.subject.lcshAedes aegypti -- Molecular aspects
dc.subject.lcshMosquitoes as carriers of disease
dc.titleCharacterization of the bacterial midgut community of wild-caught Aedes aegypti
dc.title.alternativeCharacterization of the bacterial gut community in wild Aedes aegypti
dc.typeStillImage
dc.typeText
dcterms.rights.dplaThe copyright and related rights status of this Item has not been evaluated (https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/). Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
thesis.degree.disciplineBiology
thesis.degree.disciplineNatural Sciences


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record