Georgetown Loop, illustration, The
Photograph of an illustration of the Georgetown Loop showing the narrow gauge train crossing the High Bridge (Devil's Gate Viaduct). In 1871, construction started on a narrow-gauge railroad up Clear Creek Canyon to serve the mining camps, and this line was completed to Georgetown in 1877. The Georgetown, Breckenridge and Leadville Railroad was incorporated in 1881 to build a western extension over Loveland Pass. However, the grade between Georgetown and Silver Plume was too steep for a conventional rail line. George Blickensderfer solved the problem by designing the Georgetown Loop, a series of ...
(For more, see "View full record.")