Benbow Mill site and tram line
Thomas C. Benbow discovered large deposits of chromium in the Stillwater River Valley in 1904. The Benbow claims were under development in the 1920s and housed workers in an adjoining camp, but work ceased in 1929 with the Depression. Development of the mine was intermittent until World War II, when the Anaconda Copper Mining Company expanded the operations and built roads, housing and mills at the site. After the War, most of the buildings and machinery were removed from Benbow.