MetadataShow full item record
Negative showing the Hilltop Mine, which is located high up on the saddle ridge between Mount Sherman and Mount Sheridan at an elevation of 12,955 feet. The Hilltop Mine was discovered in 1886 and sold to Felix Leavick in 1892. The collapse of the silver market in 1893 resulted in the closing of the area mines and the Leavick mill. They reopened in 1895 but after 1899, Hilltop Mine and the other mines in the area were operated only sporadically. By 1923 they had all closed and the town of Leavick had been abandoned.