Cambria-Jackson Mine cars
The first iron ore in the Lake Superior region was found on the site of the Jackson Mine, leading to discoveries of the extensive Lake Superior iron ore deposits in the Marquette Range. The Jackson pit mine was opened in 1848 by prospectors from Jackson, Michigan who formed the Jackson Mining Company. The Cambria Mine, which opened in 1874, was eventually included in the property. The Cambria-Jackson Mine was consolidated with the Mather Mine, which began shipping ore in 1943. These properties were operated by the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company. The Mather Mine was the last underground iron mine ...
(For more, see "View full record.")