Hiawatha #2 Mine, scraper drift
A floodlight in the foreground illuminates a scraper drift and miner at the Hiawatha #2 Mine. The Hiawatha mines were located in the Menominee Range in Iron County, Michigan. The Dober, Duff and Isabella mines were operated as part of the Riverton Group of mines starting in 1882. In 1935 the mines were consolidated to form the Hiawatha #2 Mine and operated by the M. A. Hanna Company. The M. A. Hanna Company was one of the large mining companies that moved into the Michigan iron area in the early 1900s, consolidated smaller properties, and engaged in exploration for other economic deposits.