This collection is comprised of three documents pertaining to the Laramie University Neighborhood Historic District. The documents are the Summary Survey Report (2006), the complete Survey Report with 154 individual Architectural Inventory Forms (2006), and the National Register of Historic Places registration form submitted to the National Park Service (2009).

Laramie’s University Neighborhood District comprises 20 blocks extending from University Avenue on the north to Custer Street on the south, and from 6th Street on the west to 15th Street on the east. The district comes within one block of the eastern boundary of the Laramie Downtown Historic District (National Register of Historic Places, 1988). The original survey (2006) extended only as far as Garfield Avenue; the area was expanded one-half block south for the National Register nomination. The survey and National Register nomination were commissioned by the Albany County Historic Preservation Board and completed by the University of Wyoming American Studies Program (UW-AMST), as part of the public-sector component of the American Studies curriculum.

The district highlights the growth and development of Laramie’s residential neighborhoods from the 1870s to the 1950s. This eight-decade window of development allows for a broad diversity of building styles, from Italianate and Gothic Revival to Prairie style and Moderne. This 20-block neighborhood has been the home of many of Laramie’s most influential businessmen and politicians, including John Meldrum, the first secretary of Wyoming Territory and the acting Governor when Wyoming gained its statehood, and successful businessman and philanthropist Edward Ivinson. University of Wyoming faculty and presidents have long resided in the district, especially on Ivinson Avenue, and many of the homes in the district were used as boarding houses for students and as fraternities. The district is also notable for the large number of houses (23) designed by Laramie architect Wilbur Hitchcock, who designed approximately two hundred buildings in Laramie between 1908 and 1930, including many buildings on the University of Wyoming campus.

More information about the District, including a downloadable tour brochure and video vignettes of selected houses, can be found on the Laramie's Historical Living Project website.

The survey and National Register nomination are organized by street and property address, starting in the northwest corner. East-west streets (University, Ivinson, Grand, Garfield, Custer) are first, followed by north-south streets in numerical order from 6th through 15th.

Recent Submissions