Rifle Gap Spillway
Rifle Gap Spillway. “The earthen dam was constructed between 1964 and 1967 by the United States Bureau of Reclamation, with a height of 157 feet and 1450 feet long at its crest. It impounds East Rifle Creek and West Rifle Creek about 400 feet upstream from their previous point of confluence. The dam was built for irrigation water storage, is owned by the Bureau, and is operated by the local Silt Water Conservancy District. Rifle Gap Dam is located at the head of a narrow canyon eroded through the Grand Hogback by Rifle Gap. The hogback stands in relief above the adjacent topography because it ...
(For more, see "View full record.")