Central Mine, sinking bucket dumping in car
Three miners dump a bucket's contents into a railed car underground at the Central Mine. The Central Mine in the town of Central, Keweenaw County, Michigan was opened in 1854 on a prehistoric copper mining site. The Mine was a major copper producer until it closed in 1898. It was operated by the Calumet & Hecla Consolidated Copper Company. The Company, based in Calumet, was formed by a merger of two mining companies in 1871 to become one of the largest copper producers in the US. The Company's operations in the Keweenaw Peninsula ceased with a major labor dispute in 1969.