Tailings at the Naturita processing plant
Slide showing tailings and one of the buildings at the Naturita Processing Plant. The Naturita Processing Plant was located three miles north of the town of Naturita and was built around 1930 by the Rare Metals Company. In 1939, the Vanadium Corporation of America purchased the plant and renovated it. Between 1942 and 1960, uranium was extracted at the plant from carnotite ore by salt roasting crushed ore and then leaching and precipitating the uranium concentrate (yellow cake) and vanadium concentrate (red cake). The carnotite ore processed at the plant probably came from the Vanadium Corporation ...
(For more, see "View full record.")