Dredge boat on the Swan River, Breckenridge
Photograph showing the bow gantry and bucket line on one of the first two dredge boats to mine the placer gravel deposits along the Swan River near Breckenridge. They were owned by the North American Gold Dredging Company and built by the Risdon Company on the river in 1898. They were the first dredge boats to be used in Colorado and were largely experimental. They were steam operated, and a bucket line fed gravel into the dredge where the gold was separated from the gravel, and the stacker discarded the tailings. However, these stackers were too short, and the tailings fell back into the pond ...
(For more, see "View full record.")