Show simple item record

dc.contributor.institutionColorado Digitization Project
dc.contributor.institutionNational Mining Hall of Fame and Museum
dc.date1950?-1951?
dc.date.accessioned2007-01-03T05:55:02Z
dc.date.available2007-01-03T05:55:02Z
dc.descriptionFairplay 1950-51.
dc.descriptionDate scanned: 2001-04-03.
dc.descriptionIdentifier: NMHFM-272.
dc.descriptionRelated photograph and slide: NMHFM-135, NMHFM-373.
dc.descriptionUnmounted; text on verso.
dc.descriptionHeld in the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.
dc.descriptionDonor: Charles Burgess.
dc.description.abstractPhotograph showing the town of Fairplay. Sprinklers irrigate the agricultural fields outside of town. Fairplay was established in 1859 when gold was discovered at the junction of Beaver Creek and the South Platte River. The founders of this new camp called it "Fair Play" referring to the treatment they vowed people would receive there as opposed to that of a nearby gold camp. During the 1860s, Fairplay developed into a supply center for the surrounding mining camps, and in 1867 it became the county seat. After most of the town burned to the ground in 1873, it was quickly rebuilt and most of the new buildings were made of stone. The Fairplay district's small placer claims were consolidated in the 1870s and only intermittently worked through the 1890s. Dredges were brought in to work the gold placers starting in 1922 and their operations continued intermittently into the 1950s. Although Fairplay began as a mining town, ranching and farming were of greater economic importance ...
dc.description.sponsorshipSponsored by the Colorado State Library, the regional library systems of Colorado, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
dc.identifierlibimagesNMHFM272
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/11124/8696
dc.publisherColorado School of Mines. Arthur Lakes Library
dc.rightsRights management statement available at: http://library.mines.edu/digital/rights.html
dc.titleView of Fairplay, Colorado
dc.typeStillImage


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record