Vinegar Hill Zinc Company, bucket elevator used to stack tailings
The Vinegar Hill Zinc Company was probably named for the deposits in the vicinity of Vinegar Hill Township, Illinois. The Vinegar Hill lead mine near Galena, Illinois was being worked in 1822. In addition to its own properties, Vinegar Hill Zinc purchased ore from small mines in the 1920s-1940s and operated a sulphuric acid plant in Cuba City, Wisconsin. The Company reportedly closed its plant and mine properties in the late 1930s. American Zinc Company acquired the Vinegar Hill operations in the 1950s.