Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorPetersen, Max S.
dc.contributor.institutionArthur Lakes Library
dc.contributor.institutionRussell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive
dc.contributor.institutionUnited States. Bureau of Mines
dc.date1946-03
dc.date.accessioned2007-01-03T06:01:43Z
dc.date.available2007-01-03T06:01:43Z
dc.descriptionDate scanned: 2002-6-18.
dc.descriptionUSBM #63000; Entrance to underground mine from open cut through which trucks are driven. Copeland (James) Mine, Gill Brothers, Shullsburg, Wis. - M. S. Petersen - March 1946.
dc.descriptionHeld in the Russell L. and Lyn Wood Mining History Archive, Arthur Lakes Library, Colorado School of Mines.
dc.descriptionDonor: United States Bureau of Mines.
dc.description.abstractAn entrance to the underground workings of the Copeland (James) Mine from its open cut (surface workings open to the sky) is shown. The Copeland Mine (James Mine?) was an underground lead-zinc mine with surface workings in the Shullsburg area in the Upper Mississippi River Valley mining region of Wisconsin. The Upper Mississippi River Valley mining region was being prospected for lead in the 1820s and by the 1850s it had become an important lead producer. Zinc ores, originally discarded, were later identified as valuable. By the 1870s zinc production exceeded that of lead. The last zinc mine in the region closed in the 1970s.
dc.identifierlibimagesU797
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/11124/7475
dc.publisherColorado School of Mines. Arthur Lakes Library
dc.rightsRights management statement available at: http://library.mines.edu/digital/rights.html
dc.subjectGill Brothers
dc.subjectLead mines and mining
dc.subjectSurface mining
dc.subjectUnderground mining
dc.subjectZinc mines and mining
dc.titleCopeland (James) Mine, entrance from open cut
dc.typeStillImage


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record