Hiawatha #1 Mine, exterior view of mine change house
The Hiawatha #1 Mine near Stambaugh, Michigan was operated by the M. A. Hanna Company. The Hiawatha #1 was the deepest mine in Iron County and one of the most productive. The Mine was worked from 1893 to 1967. The M. A. Hanna Company was one of the large mining companies that moved into the Michigan iron area in the early 1900s, consolidated smaller properties, and engaged in exploration for other economic deposits. It was dissolved in 1965, then resurrected in 1985.