Anvil-Palms Mine, safety dogs on cage
The Anvil Palms Mine (Anvil-Palms-Keweenaw Mine Group) is located in Gogebic County, Michigan in the Gogebic Range. Both the Anvil and Palms mines were opened in 1886. The mines were consolidated in 1923 with the Keweenaw lease (North Anvil lease and Massie lease) and eventually worked to a depth of some 2,000 feet. The Mine was operated by Youngstown Mines Corporation for Pickands, Mather and Company from 1931 to its closure in 1957. Pickands, Mather and Company was established in 1883 as an iron mining and shipping firm with interests in the Lake Superior region. It was one of the large mining ...
(For more, see "View full record.")