International Salt Company mine, stoppings, curtain
The International Salt Company was one of the largest producers of salt for industrial use in the US. Michigan's only dry salt mine was opened around 1900 in the Detroit area by the Detroit Salt and Manufacturing Company. The International Salt Company took over the operation in the 1910s and it became one of the world's largest rock salt mines until its closure in 1983. Much of the mine's rock salt was used for ice control. The mine was eventually reopened by the Detroit Salt Company in 1998.