Officially established by the Smith-Lever Act in 1914, the Colorado Cooperative Extension Service (renamed CSU Extension in 2007) has served as the agricultural and home management outreach arm of Colorado State University, a land-grant institution, by bringing the results of university research to Coloradans. Over its history, faculty and staff with expertise in agriculture, horticulture, range, forestry, water, health promotion, financial literacy, business management, community development, and 4-H youth development have offered instruction utilizing the latest information and research. The collection contains reports which document aspects of rural life, the training and events offered by county agents, advancements in farming techniques, and the development of recreational activities, as well as files from the Extension office at the university organized by Colorado Cooperative Extension directors. For more information about the collection, see the finding aid. This digital collection, with materials dated 1913 to 1973, contains annual reports by county agents, instructional videos, and photographs of Extension activities gathered by county agents.

In the University Archive, the Oral History Tapes collection contains oral histories of Extension personnel recorded for James Hansen's book Beyond the Ivory Tower: A History of Colorado State University Cooperative Extension (Fort Collins: Colorado State University, Cooperative Extension, 1991). For more information, see the Oral History Tapes finding aid.

Recent Submissions

View more